I have been saying this for some time on my blogs, in my book, and also on my many Facebook groups and pages: artificial sweeteners cause diabetes II and obesity.
Most people continue to drink and eat food with artificial sweeteners in spite of the warning. Hopefully soon artificial sweeteners will be pulled from shelves and the debate will be over. It is a poison that creates illnesses. Not sure how many of you actually believed what I wrote in past blogs and in my book but I usually write based on scientific information that is not yet publicly available. Now finally it is available to the public in a limited way.
So if you did not believe me until now, perhaps you will once you read the latest release from Nature, a peer-reviewed scientific journal of the highest caliber among scientists. Unfortunately the subscription cost to the journal is prohibitive ($199 per year) and even to purchase this one article as a full text pdf costs $32. Given that few have such access and I am not allowed to post the article, I can only post here the news release that is public–click on this link to read it.
If you crave sugar and keep on eating/drinking artificial sugar, your craving will increase! In quick summary, here is what happens when you eat artificial sweeteners:
- Artificial sweeteners arrive into the body and insulin releases
- Insulin would convert it into sugar and deposit it as fat for future use but we have a problem. There is no sugar. There is nothing to convert into fat reserves except whatever came in with the fake stuff, say a muffin.
- The brain has a hormone called Leptin that orders sugar from Insulin but…
- There is no sugar for the use of the brain so Leptin initiates a “STOP ALL ACTION WE ARE IN STARVATION MODE” command
- The brain doesn’t have enough sugar so it does three things:
- Reduces your metabolism to reduce your food burning speed
- Reduces your ability to work and exert energy to save it for better times when there is food available
- send out sugar craving signals so you eat more of the fake stuff
- In the process of all these your metabolism slows down because your body thinks you are starving
- You keep on craving more and more food and so you gain weight and from all the insulin you released you are in trouble
- Insulin floating in the blood constantly without any purpose is called “cry wolf”
- Cry wolf gets to be ignored
- Ignored Insulin is called insulin resistance, or type II diabetes
Please read the news release and please stop drinking and eating artificial sweeteners! Do yourself a favor and trash it all!
Now all you need to know about “real” sugar (this includes Stevia and other such “real” sugars):
Some people I talked to complained, as noted before, but I crave sugar or I only eat Stevia. You already know what happens when you eat artificial sugar but what happens when you eat table sugar or honey or any kind of sugar you can buy in the stores, including Stevia? Is that any different from artificial sugars? Yes it is but how?! And is it any better? No. And here I give you all the answers you have ever wanted to know about sugar.
First I must explain that there are two major types of sugars in what we think of as sugar: glucose (the sugar our body knows what to do with) and fructose (not sugar for our body unless it comes with insoluble fiber, this includes sugars like honey or stevia or corn syrup and many more!). So watch out, this will be a bumpy ride for sugar lovers of any kind!
I can explain why you crave sugar even if you never ever touched artificial sweeteners in your life.
Sugar is an element that our body uses; each cell in our body (the mitochondria in particular uses it for breathing in oxygen) uses sugar as energy. But sugar is available to our bodies without eating sugar! Our body was made to convert non-sweetened food into sugar. That is the job of the many hormones, such as insulin, to convert the food you eat into sugar and deposit that as fat for future use. Eating food without sugar–yes, eating carbs that convert to glucose–is an important element of healthy eating and sugar availability without eating sugar! So if you don’t believe in eating carbs, watch out! You will be in metabolic trouble in no time!
When you eat unsweetened food (just in simple terms); the healthy way:
- Food gets digested and insulin releases
- Insulin converts whatever it can from the food into sugar and deposits it as fat for future use
- The brain has a hormone called Leptin that orders the delivery of sugar from this fat reserve
- Sugar is created from the fat reserve for the use of the brain
- The brain receives sugar and is happy, you are full of energy, awake, ready for life
- In the process of all these you burn energy (called metabolism)
When you eat pure sugar without insoluble fiber (natural pure sugar from evaporated freshly squeezed orange juice by you at home, for example) instead of food without sugar or food with sugar in it (again, natural that you created or table sugar, just in simple terms again):
- Food gets digested and insulin releases
- Insulin converts the food into sugar and deposits it into fat
- Insulin finds sugar but it needs to break that up: glucose and fructose since added sugar is made of these (including the freshly squeezed and evaporated sugar from orange juice you just made as well as corn syrup, honey, etc., are all concentrated fructose)
- The part of the sugar that is glucose, the insulin places as fat reserve without any work so your weight suffers a chance of losing some pounds there–this is called foods with glycemic index or GI. But GI is OK for you.
- The part of the sugar that is fructose is not convertible to fat. It goes to the liver and is converted into ethanol–the stuff you put in your car. It is alcohol (yes, we are feeding our kids alcohol!)
- Leptin is released from the brain and instructs insulin to gather sugar for the use of energy for the brain but Insulin is sending mixed signals. On the one hand it sends the message that there is more sugar but on the other hand it finds none so it tells Leptin what it finds
- Leptin tells the brain that there is a shortage of food since there is not enough sugar
- The brain puts on a “STOP ALL ACTIONS WE ARE IN STARVATION MODE” command
- You get to crave more sugar as a result. A catch 22.
The fact that when you eat sugar only part of that is really sugar is insult to injury since your body is already confused by releasing a ton of insulin to convert your food to sugar, which it need not do. When you eat fruits, vegetables, etc., the fructose is with insoluble fiber, making it difficult for the body to take sugar out of the food and thus it takes a lot of time for it to be digested. The insoluble fiber releases its sugar in our intestines and gut and not in our stomach. It is particularly useful in the gut as insoluble fiber sugar is food for the good bacteria. So if you eat right, you need not eat probiotic at all! The bacteria are already in your gut and believe me, the one thing they know real well is how to multiply!
If you need to eat probiotic, you are not eating right! If you crave sugar, you are not eating right!
Eat right and stop craving things your body can make on its own. Eat only foods your body cannot create!
Comments are welcome, as usual.